Rob Funkhouser is a composer, performer, and instrument builder who can never quite sit still. He recently received an M.M. from Butler University in Music Composition, and most recently completed Directionless for two vibraphones. He has released projects through various labels in three different countries, and has had his music played on the radio in many places, including Australia. His current projects include music for the dance Parade 2017 choreographed by Rebecca Pappas and facilitated by No Exit Performance, as well as a new work for So Percussion.
Currently residing in Indianapolis, Indiana, Funkhouser divides his time between composing, performing, and curating shows at various venues around the city. His performances vary widely, but often take the form of solo percussion or ambient electronics. He also collaborates with a wide variety of performers and artists. Most recently he has worked with Corey Denham, Sara Goodman, and So Percussion. His principal teachers include Dr. Michael Schelle, Dr. James Aikman, and Dr. Frank Felice.
Rafael Cronin – Two kalimbas which featured Cronin’s paint work were built for his gallery showing in Spring of 2010, Cerebral Machinations was composed and released especially for this event.
Evelyn Davis – This relationship began with a performance in Sword of Exactly at the Stone in NYC. Further work included more performances on drum set with this group through the summer of 2011 and as a soloist in Davis’s thesis, Concerto for Two Percussionists.
Neutrals – My master’s thesis, Surfaces, was written for and premiered by Neutrals in February, 2016.
- Directionless – 2017 – Two Vibraphones
- No Kings – 2017 – Trombone and Tuba
- Reflection on a Dead Idea – 2017 – Flute and Vibraphone
- Surfaces – 2017 – Percussion Duet
- Adrift – 2016 – Prepared Piano
- The Meaning in the Moment – 2016 – Prepared Piano
- Points of Light – 2016 – Steel Tongue Drum and Two Snare Drums
- Composite Sketch – 2016 – Prepared Piano, Six Performers
- Interpretation Becomes Synonymous – 2016 – Percussion Quartet
- Morning Ritual – Percussion Trio – 2016 – Percussion Trio
- The Things We Forget – 2016 – Two Vibraphones
- Expanding Ever Outward – 2016 – Solo Vibraphone
- Disarm – 2015 – String Quartet
- Remembering Forgetfulness – 2015 – Prepared Glockenspiel
- How I Learn to Forgive – 2015 – Solo Saxophone
- Waltz of Equidistance – 2013 – Piano w/ 4 hands
- Melancholy Waltz – 2013/2016 – Piano
- Reflection I – 2012 – Wind Quintet
- A Dream – 2012 – Piano